[Vm-dev] Re: SegmentationFault in with OmniBrowser

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue May 22 18:03:56 UTC 2007

On 22-May-07, at 10:56 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Java has a bytecode verifyer to prevent these problems with zero
> runtime cost (if you don't count class loading). Squeak could have the
> same.
Absolutely irrelevant to the problem in question. Smalltalk has a
'bytecode verifier' too - it's called the compiler. It too makes sure
the bytecodes are suitable as it 'loads' them.

The problem is that if some *other* tool is generating bytecodes it
can make 'bad' ones that will stomp over other objects. Just as in
java you could etc etc. At least, I assume java could have a tool to
generate bytecodes and run them? I wouldn't really know, never having
had anything to do with it.

tim
Gotta run, the cat's caught in the printer.