[Vm-dev] Unicode clipboard in Windows

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue May 29 15:32:10 UTC 2007

On May 29, 2007, at 16:59 , Chris Petsos wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 13:35 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> We will definitely have unicode support in the OLPC version. Right
>> now, we can already copy/paste and drag/drop unicode text from other
>> applications into Squeak.
>
> Only for the Unix version i suppose...

Sure, the OLPC runs on Linux.

>> We generally prefer solutions that are portable to other platforms,
>> although the core OLPC developers will probably not spend too much
>> time on other platforms.
>
> This means that i am all alone for the Windows front? Why is that?
> I just want to state that i am not a Windows fan (although new to
> Linux...about three months...OLPC was the cause...i am loving it
> though), but...at least here in Greece... many teachers have no
> experience with Unix platforms and i don't know if they are willing to
> start using Linux just for eToys. I am just saying that i am afraid
> that
> utilisation of the eToys platform may end up in failure if we don't
> support the Windows version too .
> I know it's not your responsibility for the OLPC to succeed, nor the
> core OLPC developers will ever spend much time on the Windows version
> but shouldn't we consider what we are trying to accomplish here in a
> more general manner?
> What do you say?

I say that this is the Squeak VM developer's list, which is not OLPC
specific. So this discussion is a bit distorted.

I'm pretty sure others want to have unicode input on Windows, too,
you can try to find allies here or on the Squeak-dev list. For
example, I'm pretty sure this is still on the todo-list for Sophie
(which supports Unicode input on the Mac only so far - they do have
full clipboard support via ffi on windows though). It would be great
if you and others add that functionality to the Windows VM. This is
how it has worked in the past - for example, much of the multi-
language support comes from the Japanese community.

- Bert -