[Vm-dev] linux 64bit vm running a 32 bit images - networking vm crash

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Thu May 31 03:42:22 UTC 2007

On Thursday 31 May 2007 6:47 am, Chris Muller wrote:
> ... I saw this ad on the back of InfoRag earlier today.  Some IBM
> blade, multi-Xeon-multi-core, up to 48GB high-speed RAM, "starting" at
> $2K.  Cool, this could probably run a lot of images simultaneously,
> but how far could you go with 32-bit Squeak on this?
Chris,

Look at it this way - given the huge test cycles and the number of bugs that
leak past into processes with 20MB footprint, would you trust processes that
need a 100x footprint? or would you settle for a bunch of co-operating
processes (like Croquet) ? Those 48GB RAM continue to consume energy even
when your memory usage drops to 1GB. 2K looks cheap till you get the power
bill :-).

The 32-bit to 64-bit transition is going to be much painful and much more
longer than the 16-32b transition.

Regards .. Subbu