[Vm-dev] VMMaker + FAQ

Andrew Gaylard ag at computer.org
Mon Nov 5 07:02:01 UTC 2007

On Nov 4, 2007 11:57 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> One thing that is odd not about the FAQ but about our beloved VMMaker
> tool is that the "64-bit VM?" check box in VMMaker actually governs
> building support for a 64-bit image, to use the FAQ's terms:
>
> "What is a 64-bit image? A 64-bit image is an image in which the
> object memory uses a 64-bit word size for object pointers"
>
> "What is a 64-bit VM? A 64-bit VM is one which is compiled with the
> LP64 or ILP64 data model"
>
> So IMHO we should change that check box label to something indicating
> "64-bit image support" to reduce a major confusion point. Putting a
> link to the FAQ (or even a copy of the FAQ) into the tool itself
> might be an extra bonus.

I agree. I found the name of this checkbox confused me no end.
It's what forced me to write the FAQ!  Please let's give it a better name.

While still on the topic of 64 bits, ...

- Is there a list of which plugins still need to be fixed to work in a
64-bit VM?

- Is there a (programmatic) way to find out if a given plugin will work
in a 64-bit VM? (e.g. compile-time errors, or the absence of them?)

- Is there a set of guidelines on what to fix when porting a plugin?

(I guess this stuff should also go in to the FAQ...)

Andrew