[Vm-dev] FileCopyPlugin 32bit-64bit updates with unit test

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Nov 19 07:16:56 UTC 2007

For os-x carbon we attempted to implement the filecopy plugin many
years back but had serious issues with Apple's
failure to provide an operating system api that let you copy a file
between locations and actually preserve all the
meta-data for the file, date/time, permissions, ACL, os-9 attributes,
endless list. Plus rules were slightly different when
dealing with AppleShare Servers, and then basically gave it up as a
lost cause.

However I guess I'll consider revisiting this because Apple has
provide an API to move objects in a file system in 10.4 or later.
We actually use this via FFI in Sophie to import data into Sophie, and
to copy data between books on Save As operation.
For example it preserves the OS-9 file type which indicates the file
'Foo' is a MPEG movie without having to say the file is 'Foo.mpeg'
Then later when we hand 'Foo' to some audio/video apis they know what
to do by reading the ancient OS-9 file type.

--
=
=