[Vm-dev] Module Version Numbers

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Sep 25 00:07:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 05:16:17PM -0400, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> What do people think about adding version numbers to plugins like
> LargeIntegersPlugin class>>moduleNameAndVersion.
>
> Is this something we should be encouraging or do people really not see the
> benefit?

For the plugins that I maintain, I use #primitiveVersionString and
#primitiveModuleName to enable the loaded plugin to identify itself.
On the class side, I use #versionString to identify the version at
compile time, along with the existing class method #moduleName to
identify the module. I've been using this convention for quite a while,
and it works well for tracking the version of the plugin source as well
as providing a mechanism to test the version level of whatever module
got loaded at runtime.

The implementation of #moduleNameAndVersion in LargeIntegersPlugin looks
quite reasonable, and I'd be happy to support that as a convention also.