[Vm-dev] accents in unix using non-english languages

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Sep 28 21:43:48 UTC 2007

Sophie uses UTF-8.
Plopp uses UTF-8.
Scratch uses macroman

As mentions squeak tools (file browser) then are broken if you use
UTF8 because the UTF8 -> latin1 translation  in the tool doesn't work
as expected.

As noted for Windows, drag and drop file names aren't correctly done
on the mac either, (this I should fix someday).
Sophie actually does the proper translation via FFI calls to fix that
issue as a workaround.

On Sep 28, 2007, at 2:07 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2007, at 20:25 , Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> I believe the VM side should actually be fine - what is lacking
>>> is a way to ensure that VM and image agree on a common encoding.
>>> There were some proposals in the last couple of years but none
>>> got adopted. So it's the user who must ensure it works, and this
>>> indeed is undocumented.
>>
>> What's wrong with universally adopting UTF-8? The Windows VM does
>> that now and it seems far superior to having to deal with tons of
>> different encodings.
>>
>>> Perhaps a simple step to clean up the mess is adding three new
>>> system attributes to allow the image to know the current VM
>>> encoding for keyboard, clipboard, and file names. Then fix the
>>> image to set converters using these attributes, instead of second-
>>> guessing from the platform string as it is done now.
>>
>> Perhaps a simpler step is to assume everything is UTF-8 and give
>> people a little CS which turns all these converters under all
>> circumstances to UTF-8?
>
> This would break compatibility with older images - until new we
> tried to preserve backwards-compatibility.
>
> For my specific purposes, switching to UTF-8 in general would be
> fine - what about others?
>
> - Bert -

===