[Vm-dev] VM performance discrepancy on Linux and Windows

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Wed Apr 9 20:38:33 UTC 2008

  Hello,

  I had some suspicous for a while but we did a little test with a
computer that dual boot Windows XP and (Ubuntu) Linux to run
tinyBenchmarks.  (The computer happens to be a 1.8GHz Pentium-M Dell
laptop.)

On Windows, 3.10.6 VM (pre-compiled one on the site) with
etoys-dev.image, the result was:

  311 million bytecodes/sec, 8.9 million sends/sec

On Linux, 3.9-8 VM (pre-compiled one on the site) with etoys-dev.image
the result was:

  190 million bytecodes/ec, 5.7 million seonds/sec

  Has any of you been experiencing similar gap?  Have anybody looked
at the generated code, or has anybody done some experiment recently?

-- Yoshiki