[Vm-dev] Timezones in LocalePlugin

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Aug 28 14:19:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 02:07:48PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 28.08.2008 um 13:58 schrieb David T. Lewis:
> >
> >The approach that I prefer, proposed by Lex Spoon some time ago, is
> >here:
> >
> > http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2000-February/020250.html
> >
> >See the plugin attached to that email. It's a simple primitive that
> >nowadays
> >you could just incorporate into the LocalePlugin.
>
> Why would you prefer that approach? The LocalePlugin pretty much
> works, it just as to be made work consistently.

Lex's idea was to have one primitive that reported both UTC and offset
as a single primitive operation. That is simple and still makes sense
to me, so if you were to implement a new primitive to replace the current
inconsistent one, this would still be my suggestion. To be honest I did
not look at the LocalePlugin implementations at all. Your question just
reminded me that the problem was "solved" long ago but never implemented.

> >FYI, Squeak can fully handle local time zones without any plugin
> >support at all:
>
> How would it find out the current time zone then?

You have to specify your local time zone in the image to select the
correct time zone table, the same as is done for an operating system.
This is not what you would want for OLPC, it's more appropriate for
e.g. a Squeak web server application.