[Vm-dev] XCode Target.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Jan 16 23:13:29 UTC 2008

Originally it was there to build a deployment VM that include symbols
so you could do debugging easier.
Occasionally you would build a VM that would work in debug mode, but
not in deployment, or work on powerpc
but not on intel. Usually this was a problem with optimization not
doing zero initialization of variables, or not
returning zero where you said return nothing via  int foo(){} but then
used the return value.

In the past the VM had the symbols stripped, but I'm not sure this is
the case anymore, you could check?
Apple  now recommends you keep the symbols because it does not affect
performance, it does take
extra memory, but memory is cheap now.

--
=