[Vm-dev] How to Send a Message to the Squeak Image

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 01:39:26 UTC 2008

Hello,
Please let me know if this is a very VM question, and I will make sure to
post it on the Beginners list instead...

Anyway...I would like to use Squeak as a background tray application in
Windows with a dynamic right-click menu depending on the state of my
application.  I have successfully modified and compiled a "
SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.6" package to include an "options menu" for the taskbar
icon.

Keeping the menus in sync could be done using an INI file the same way as
the preference menu functionality in sqWin32Prefs.c, but with custom message
ID's listed there as well.  However, having never poked around in the VM before
(and being years since I did anything in C), I was wondering if someone
could point me in the right direction to post a message from within the
Windows message loop that the interpreted image would see.

This is obviously being done to pass keyboard and mouse events back and
forth...I was just hoping someone could help me narrow down my search to
find the correct functions to call on the C-side, and the correct way to
listen for the message on the Smalltalk side!

Thanks,

Rob Rothwell

--
The foolish reject what they see, not what they think; the wise reject what
they think, not what they see.  -- Huang Po