[Vm-dev] How to Send a Message to the Squeak Image

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Mar 2 02:23:58 UTC 2008

Well not being a windows expert or even novice I can say if you are
looking at the windows VM source code.

see usage of
  /* and lastly, fill in the event itself */
   event = (sqMouseEvent*) sqNextEventPut();
   *event = proto;

This is used to help you give a structure of data to the VM
InputSensor event queue.

/* generic input event */
typedef struct sqInputEvent
{
   int type;			/* type of event; either one of EventTypeXXX */
   unsigned int timeStamp;	/* time stamp */
   /* the interpretation of the following fields depend on the type of
the event */
   int unused1;
   int unused2;
   int unused3;
   int unused4;
   int unused5;
   int windowIndex;		/* SmallInteger used in image to identify a host
window structure */
} sqInputEvent;

What values are in the unused1-unused5 integers are up to the VM and
the image to decide and agree upon.   Setting up the data, then
invoking sqNextEventPut and
doing the *event := whatever  places your event on the queue.

EventSensor>>fetchMoreEvents

Is where the smalltalk image tirelessly remove events from the FIFO
queue and processes them.

Obviously you then need a VM and image to agree on your protocol.

There maybe a different solution, Smalltalk code callbacks from C code
are allowed in some variations of the VM>

--
=
=