[Vm-dev] VM newbie

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:13:01 UTC 2008

On 20/03/2008, Germán Arduino <garduino at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I'm a newbie with the VM but must sart dealing with these things.
>
>  Sorry if I ask something obvious or already asked, I done a quick
>  search and not found nothing.
>
>  The questions are relative to Windows VM, and are:
>
>  1. Having more than 1 vm on the box, the new downloaded VM start only
>  when you drag the image onto the vm but it doesn't run when you double
>  click the image. I registered (doing Open with) the new vm, but seems
>  that even the images are opened with the older vm. It's a windows
>  problem, that avoid to have more than an .exe to open an image when
>  such .exe has the same name (by example I've the possibility of Open
>  with squeak and croquet, but not more than 1 Squeak)?

Yes, 'open' command is registered in shell. And from what you put
there depends what executable will run with given file as parameter.
In newer version of windoze you can edit a list of commands (so you
can put there 'open with old VM', 'open with new VM' e.t.c.). But
there can be only single default command, which executed when you
double-click on image.
And to execute any other command you need to right-click on a file and
select a command from menu.

>  2. I must recompile the VM to learn and add some simple things I read
>  how to do on the documentation, but Imust to investigate if is
>  possible to disable the behavior of the VM when you click on the close
>  button on the Window. I've not found .ini or so options.

Yes, this can be disabled either by ignoring WM_CLOSE command or by
changing the window style to remove [x] button from titlebar & close
command from menu.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.