[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Building (Linux) VM - with segfaults. that point to audio

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Nov 19 12:19:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:22:36AM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:

> The problem might be that arrayIndex is 32bit and it is used to
> calculate *samples which is 64bit. This would be a problem if
> arrayIndex has bit31 set.

Brad,

You're looking in the right place. Most of the problems on 64 bit
platforms relate to mixing 64 bit pointers with 32 bit integers.

I have worked through these issues for a few plugins, but as far
as I know no one has addressed them for sound support, so you are
probably the first person to do so (please proceed!).

You will probably be able to identify most of the issues by tracking
down compiler warnings and looking at the corresponding C code,
but one thing that has been helpful for me in matching up the
Smalltalk slang with the external support code is SlangBrowser.
This allows you to look at generated C code in Squeak (this of
course being where many of the questionable type casts happen).
        http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5916
You can get a VMMaker with SlangBrowser support from SqueakSource.
VMMaker-dtl.107 would be the most recent in that branch. You'll
still need to separately load the browser support from
        http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5932

If you want to get a better feel for the type conversions involved,
then MemoryAccess package may also be of interest. Support for this
is also included in VMMaker-dtl.107.
	http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6081

Good luck, and please post your results if you get the sound support
working.