[Vm-dev] help with autoconf...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:58:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 22.04.2009, at 21:13, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:
>

>> On 22.04.2009, at 20:04, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>
>>  Hi All,
>>>
>>>    I need to modify the autoconf scripts in the unix build to arrange to
>>> omit the -fomit-frame-pointer flag form on e of the files in Cog.  I've
>>> asked Ian for help but he's not responded for whatever reason and I would
>>> like to solve the issue up front.  Is anyone familiar enough with autoconf
>>> and has the free time to hold my hand through the process.  I haven't got
>>> the patience to learn autoconf myself (fundamentally because I think its a
>>> heap of crap, waaaay too complicated to be worth the effort) but I would
>>> like to have the rest of the VM compiled with -fomit-frame-pointer,
>>> essentially for plugin performance, so I don't want to take the easy route
>>> and simply omit -fomit-frame-pointer throguhout, and I don't want to spend
>>> the time e.g. porting the Newspeak make framework, which would be a good
>>> thing in the long run.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Eliot
>>>

>> Ian is on vacation.
>

> That explains it.
>

>> Easiest might be to add -fno-omit-frame-pointer when your file is
>> compiled, this should cancel a previous -fomit-frame-pointer.
>

> Right.
>

> Actually, no. -fno-omit-frame-pointer seems to *force* a frame pointer even
> on platforms that by default have none ... or is that what you need?

Right.  Somewhere (and I haven't found out where) the autoconf configuration
decides to apply -fomit-frame-pointer, which is fine as it generates faster
code, etc.  But I need (actually, want; I could work around, but shouldn't
have to)  a frame pointer for one file, and a subsequent
-fno-omit-frame-pointer will override a preceeding -fomit-frame-pointer with
the compilers I'm aware of.

>  My problem, however, is how to get autoconf to generate a specific compile
> rule for one file.  I can define the alternative COMPILEALT macro but I
> can't yet figure out how to spit out that rule for a specific source file
> withoput hacking it at the wrong place.  But I'm getting closer :/
>

> Assuming you put it in the vm directory,
> hacking platforms/unix/vm/Makefile.in should do it, no?

Thanks for the suggestion!  tried it but no.  So I think I have to duplicate
the ${srcs} collection and processing in mkmf.