[Vm-dev] An idea about better finalization support

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 07:13:09 UTC 2009

2009/4/23 John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>:

> Well there was the Ephemerons stuff you can add too
>
> http://map.squeak.org/package/fe2a35f5-3f97-431e-8596-58e810aa3c72
>
> ian had a version he pushed out a couple of years, back which was retracted
> because it
> caused VM crashs, but later was proven to be an off by 1 C/slang coding
> error.
> But no-one I think had the courage to inflict back onto the community.
>

> Er so how would compatibilty work with this new way given an image which may
> or may not include image side companion code.

I presume this is a question?
If image don't have a class in special objects array, which should
represent a class for such kind of weak references, then it will never
get into that code, because
(oop class isKindOf: nil "== WeakReferenceWithNotification ") will
always be false.
So, VM+image will behave exactly as in older versions of VM.

> John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.