[Vm-dev] Unix HostWindowPlugin

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Apr 29 21:36:44 UTC 2009

Hi Ian, folks -

I implemented the scaffolding for the HostWindowPlugin in the Unix VM.
It's a bit more complicated than other platforms because we support
multiple UI frameworks on Unix. I added the functions to the SqDisplay
dispatch structure, increasing its minor version to 2. The functions
are stubbed out in all display modules. In the X11 display module I
only implemented the one function we need right now, namely setting
the main window's title.

Since this is primarily for Etoys I attached my patches to this ticket:

	http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-71

There is a tiny changeset allowing for

	DisplayScreen hostWindowTitle: 'Hello World!'

which I tested on a Mac working fine, and now on X11 too, using
windowIndex 1 for the main window.

The patches are attached as a diff, as well as a tarball of all the
changed files. Ian: Please integrate as soon as you find time (there
is a tiny other patch in there, making -xshm not abort if xshm support
is missing).

David - sorry for not using your HostWindowPlugin code, but it was X11
only which is not the Right Way to do it. It should be reasonably
simple for someone to adapt your code to the infrastructure I provided
now (including generating events for secondary windows). I myself will
not implement multi-window support any time soon.

Andreas - reading the message below again I still don't know where
ioGetWindowLabel/ioSetWindowLabel comes from. Which platforms support
this, where is the primitive code, and how is it exposed in the image?

Thinking about it it might have been simpler to use these functions.
Is it okay to abuse the HostWindowPlugin for this? One reason I did it
was that we'll soon need the window-size setting feature, too. And at
least on the Mac prim #92 is buggy, whereas the HostWindow equivalent
works fine. In any case having full HostWindow support would be
useful, me thinks ;)

- Bert -