[Vm-dev] Spaces in file names (was: renaming dprintf)

David Farber dfarber at numenor.com
Fri Aug 14 17:38:22 UTC 2009

On Aug 14, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Spaces in file names are natural to Mac users. They only occur in
> the "platforms/Mac OS" subtree. I usually only check out the
> "platforms/Cross" and "platforms/unix" directories. Then you can
> easily use your regular unix tools.

Spaces in file names are natural to Mac users (I'm a Mac user) but,
in my opinion, they are best left to the "casual users" and the GUI
side of the OS.  If I'm working with documents in the regular GUI
apps (Text Edit, Word, the Finder, etc) I will use spaces in file names.

But if I am on the "unix" side of the OS (using Terminal, using
emacs, using unix tools, doing development, etc) I do not use spaces
in file names.

My preference would be to remove spaces from the file names in the
Mac OS subtree.

And, while we are on the subject of regular unix tools and
preferences, I would *very* much like to change Squeak's line ending
from lf to cr.  grep, diff, less, and company are unusable with lf-
delimited files.

David