[Vm-dev] Finding ip address for eth0?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Aug 26 21:57:41 UTC 2009

John M McIntosh wrote:
> NetNameResolver addressesForName: self localHostName

This doesn't work at all for me. In fact it's not even asking the right
question ;-) Using the 3.10-6 VM with an Etoys-dev image I get this:

NetNameResolver localHostName
   => 'localhost.localdomain'

NetNameResolver addressesForName: NetNameResolver localHostName
   => 127.0.0.1(localhost),0(0)-inet4-stream-tcp

I'm not surprised with the result because you are asking DNS to resolve
localhost.localdomain which is different from asking the question of
what IP addresses are assigned to the various interfaces in your system.

I thought Bert said that there is a way to enumerate the IP addresses of
the interfaces?

Cheers,
   - Andreas