[Vm-dev] Unix default encoding UTF-8?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Aug 28 12:43:44 UTC 2009

On 28.08.2009, at 14:02, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Friday 28 Aug 2009 9:46:09 am Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Is there any chance you might consider changing the default
>> encoding of
>> the Unix VM to be UTF-8? Both Mac and Windows come as UTF-8
>> nowadays and
>> it would be terrific if we didn't have to tell people that they
>> need to
>> start their VM with -encoding: UTF-8 in order to deal with their
>> local
>> variants in file system, clipboard and input.
> +1.

I think I saw a commit by Ian doing that already.

Rather useful, those commit messages. And they will ebb away when the
cmake conversion is complete ;)

> If changing it creates backward compatibility issues, it could be made
> conditional by parsing $LANG for encoding hints (*.UTF-8 or its
> variants).

This is a totally separate issue. We are discussing how the VM
communicates with the image. LANG controls how the VM communicates
with the host.

- Bert -