[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] macintosh cocoa 32/64bit & 64/64bit VM goes BETA

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Dec 4 19:18:18 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-04, at 10:24 AM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:
>> The VM currently runs on 10.5.x and 10.6.x  Support for 10.4.x might happen, we will see.
>
> So this is only for macs. Is that right?

yes

> When the code is integrated with the squeakvm svn code there will be any
> chance of having it run on other OS (GNU/Linux is my own). Or this will
> only work for Macs?
>
> Anyway, thanks.

Ok, there are a number of issues on the table

(a) confirming the base VM and internal plugins work. For example sound, the jpeg2readwriter, etoys security, did not work because
it looked like people wanting to compile as 64bit didn't care if it did sound or rendered jpegs. Typically I think they
just wanted a 64bit platform for Seaside server usage.

(b) Making it all work on external plugins, ie for example rome and freetype2

(c) Some people have asked can you take the code base and run on Gnu/Linux using the GNU Objective-C environment?
Well the code base *is* tied to platform specific technology for the iPhone & OSX for sound, display, and sensor input.
However you can subclass override all that behaviour with code that does the right thing for sound, display, and sensor input.
I have to do that anyway to provide variations between os-x and iPhone.

But really I think the question here is reuse of the common code base, lots of that, Sockets for example is generic unix code
so yes the goal is to make the *entire* common code base 64bit clean compile-able on various unix like platforms, versus
just the minimum required to run Seaside

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882