[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] squeak VM 5.0

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Dec 17 01:32:37 UTC 2009

Ok, well I created Mantis
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7430
to document.

Personally I would do
Smalltalk wordSize
versus
SystemDictionary wordSize

Also the issue is when to change the WordSize variable.

I think in
SmalltalkImage>>snapshot: andQuit: embedded:
right at the
		ifTrue: [self quitPrimitive].
	Cursor normal show.
you want to set things so that wordSize is reset.

At quit time you could do the reset before the
"self quitPrimitive"
then you know the value is reset and needs to be recalculated at startup time.
or you can reset it before the
	Cursor normal show.
which runs after startup time

Somehow I think there is more risk resetting it after startup since I'm not sure
when something could leap in wanting a valid value.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882