[Vm-dev] Building a 64-bit VM for FreeBSD

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 12 05:12:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 08:32:57PM +0200, Frank Shearar wrote:

> OK. Does it matter that I'm running VMMaker on a Windows machine and then
> copying the resulting src/ over to a FreeBSD machine? (I'm thinking in
> particular of line endings.)

Yes it is possible that this would cause problems. On Linux, I just
use the /usr/local/bin/svn command line tool. You should be able to
find that for your FreeBSD system also.

I am attaching two files to show the complete build process on a
64-bit Linux system. I expect that it should work exactly the same
on your 64-bit FreeBSD.

The typescript.gz file is a complete copy of a terminal session
(captured using /usr/bin/script) in which I download the Subversion
sources, generate the VM source from Squeak, and then do a configure,
make, and make install.

The world.png file is a screen shot of the Squeak image with VMMaker
that I used to generate the sources.

Note that I am using a different directory structure than Bert
suggested (I put the generated sources in a directory separate
from platforms, and use symlinks). This is a matter of personal
preference and either approach should work. Either way, it is
important for the configure script to be able to find the right
../src directory, otherwise you will get errors.

The entire build process will only take a few minutes once you
get the hang of it :)