[Vm-dev] Building a 64-bit VM for FreeBSD

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Feb 14 10:22:53 UTC 2009

On 13.02.2009, at 20:21, Frank Shearar wrote:

> "Bert Freudenberg" <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

>>> I guess that the platforms/unix/src sources should work in
>>> principle,
>>> although I would not be surprised if there are problems when
>>> compiling
>>> on a 64-bit system. The platforms/unix/src source probably contain
>>> source for plugins that have not been updated for 64-bit.
>>>
>>> Personally, I'm just in the habit of using VMMaker and I tend to
>>> think of the platforms/unix/src files as something that is there
>>> mainly for reference.
>>

>> Well it's also there for convenience, so a standard "configure; make;
>> make install" works.
>
> I'd hoped it would be this simple. I'd be happy to find out that no,
> it's
> just me being silly, and not a bug in the codebase.

If it does not work it *is* a bug.

> I _didn't_ find it as
> simple as configure; make; make install. It took me pasting snippets
> of gcc
> output to a C fundi to come up with CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS and such to
> get a
> VM compiled.
>
> I'm happy, if it's not simply a malconfigured system on my part, to
> periodically run a smoke-test on my machine.

The problem is that Dave has been pretty much working alone in making
the 64 bit VM work, as all the other "VM guys" are not using a 64 bit
host. Interest is ramping up, but not volunteers. Thanks for
volunteering to test, now we just need volunteer coders :)

- Bert -