[Vm-dev] Best and latest VMs for Open Cobalt release?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Feb 14 19:05:27 UTC 2009

Hi Ed -

ed.boyce at duke.edu wrote:
>    Open Cobalt (http://opencobalt.org -- based on Open Croquet) is nearing its
> public alpha release.  We would like to ship Open Cobalt with the most
> up-to-date VM possible on Mac, Linux and Windows, preferably at the same
> version on each.  Ideally, that would probably mean 3.10.4 on every platform.

The numbering scheme of VMs differs between the various platforms so the
3.10.4 nomenclature is really only applicable to Windows.

>    Looking at http://squeak.org/Download/ and http://squeakvm.org, I see various
> latest version #'s available for the different platforms.  One possible course
> of action I could take is do fresh builds on each platform from the current
> subversion sources.  But before go through that exercise, I would like to ask
> the knowledgeable members of this list:
>
>     1) What is the latest STABLE version of the Squeak VM that is available for
> all three major platforms?

On Windows it's 3.10.4.

>     2) Is there any reason anyone can think of that this latest version would
> not be suitable and stable for Open Cobalt's alpha debut? This would include
> performance issues. If so, what is the most recent VM that would be suitable
> and stable?

All of the recent VMs should be fine. Do note however, that due to the
bit-identical replication requirements of Croquet you'll want to run the
CroquetVMTests to ensure that everything comes out as expected.

>     3) We would like to expand the number of platforms that Cobalt is available
> on.  Does anyone know of Squeak VM builds on platforms such as Solaris and
> FreeBSD that have the functioning openAL and openGL bindings necessary for
> Cobalt?

Can't help you here.

Cheers,
   - Andreas