[Vm-dev] Best and latest VMs for Open Cobalt release?

Ian Piumarta piumarta at speakeasy.net
Sun Feb 15 04:32:35 UTC 2009

Ed,

On Feb 14, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Yes. I agree to 100%. Which is why I have generally named "my" VMs
> in sync with the image releases to make it reasonably
> understandable for people that for running a 3.10 image they should
> consider a 3.10 VM.

The Unix VM follows the same principle.  The major and minor version
numbers track those of the image from which the interpreter sources
are generated.  The patch number starts at 0 and increases by 1 each
time a major set of changes are applied.  The configure script, the
configure.ac file and the output from 'squeak -version' identify the
precise version (to the nearest update number) of the image used to
generate the VM.

The latest SVN should be good, except that it is still missing some
Solaris patches that I have in my pending commit queue.  AFAIK it
compiles out of the box on FreeBSD.

Just curious: why did you name it 'cobalt'?

Cheers,
Ian