[Vm-dev] Interpreter>>isContextHeader: optimization

bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 18:37:11 UTC 2009

Eliot Miranda writes:

 > But what I really think is that this is too low a level to worry about.
 >  Much more important to focus on
 > - context to stack mapping
 > - in-line cacheing via a JIT
 > - exploiting multicore via Hydra
 > and beyond (e.g. speculative inlining)
 > than worrying about tiny micro-optimizations like this :)

If you're planning on adding speculative, I assume Self style dynamic,
inlining won't that reduce the value of context to stack mapping?

My view with Exupery is context caches should be left until after
dynamic inlining as their value will depend on how well dynamic
inlining reduces the number of sends.

Bryce