[Vm-dev] bug in X11 focus event handling

Martin Kuball martinkuball at web.de
Tue Feb 24 20:36:54 UTC 2009

Hi!

When I build a new VM some weeks ago I found the following bug in the focus
event handling:

My environment is KDE 3.5 on linux x86.

When I switch from squeak to another application via alt-tab everything is
fine. If I switch to another app by selecting one from the taskbar squeak
receives a focus in event (which seems to me quite strange given the fact
that I just transferred it to another app) with detail NotifyNonlinear.
Now we call the method XSetInputFocus which triggers a new focus in event
and we are stuck in an endless loop.
Actually with alt-tab, squeak receives a focus in event, too. But the call
to XSetInputFocus does not trigger the loop.

Well, the looping stops if I alt-tab back to squeak. And I must do this,
because with the loop running the app I switched to is behaving a bit
strange.

Now I just inserted a break after the "case NotifyNonlinear:" target. This
made the bug go away. But I don't know if this has some unwanted side
effects. Couldn't find one, yet. But I would like to hear the opinion of
someone more proficient in X than me.

Martin