[Vm-dev] Unix VM closure enabled?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jul 17 18:14:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:01:39AM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >To clarify: After the load process "gets hung up", apparently in the
> >preamble of Compiler-ar.70, the image is fully responsive. Neither the
> >image nor the VM is hung up, it's just that that load process has stopped
> >and an MCMergeBrowser with title "Merging Compiler-ar-70" has opened.
>
> Oh! Well, if there are no conflicts, just hit the "merge" button and
> proceed. I'm not sure why it's doing this but there is a possibility
> that it just thought it needed to do a merge when there was really no
> reason to. (this is the expected behavior though if you've done local
> mods to packages)

Wow, sometimes I really amaze myself ;-)

Sorry for the noise. As you can see I am not experienced with using MC
in a shared environment, so you can officially consider this to be your
dumb-user smoke test.

I can't reach SqueakSource at the moment to verify the process end-to-end,
but after manually completing the update, everything looks good and the
fib test gives 89 as expected.

So, on 64 bit Linux with 64 bit VM, closures are working fine.