[Vm-dev] Unix VM closure enabled?

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Fri Jul 17 19:55:09 UTC 2009

Am 17.07.2009 um 18:46 schrieb Bert Freudenberg:

> On 17.07.2009, at 18:25, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
>
>> Am 17.07.2009 um 13:23 schrieb Damien Cassou:

>>> Download the 'GNU/Linux and other Unix' VM from:
>>
>> I don't understand why UNIX is mentioned if only a Linux VM is
>> available under this entry.
>> I really would like to see a real (and actual) UNIX VM available
>> for download.
>

> There are very few non-Linux Unix users in the Squeak community. If
> someone would step forward to maintain a Solaris or *BSD or whatever
> unixy VM binary they would be welcome. Until then, everyone who
> needs it compiles their
I intend to create Solaris SPARC packages. Alas I have some problems
with prerequisites at the moment. Libffi-3.0.8 has
   expected passes: 1049
   unexpected failures: 285
   unsupported tests: 15
I want to find out how to reduce the amount of failures (if possible).
Then I will try to create real packages (not just tar files like on http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/)
I don't like the /usr/local locations in the archives that are
provided at squeakvm because they violate the SysV specifications.
Alas I have to patch some places that were already fixed several
months ago but nobody commited the changes.
Of course I am also waiting for the closure changes appearing in the
UNIX sources...

> Alternatively, someone could set up compiling VMs on a build farm,
> which various projects do provide (even for free). That way we'd get
> more VM binaries (and hopefully the users would report back with
> problems).
Wow, where is a SPARC build system? :D

Regards
Andreas