[Vm-dev] For how long UUID issue will bite us? (Was: Re: [squeak-dev] Closure testers needed)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jul 18 18:11:33 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 08:33:32AM +0200, Brent Pinkney wrote:

> > As a workaround, how is this?
> >
> > UUID>>initialize
> > 	"Some unix versions crash with the UUID prim, so disable it for all of 'em"
> > 	Smalltalk platformName = 'unix'
> > 		ifTrue:[UUIDGenerator default generateBytes: self forVersion: 4]
> > 		ifFalse:[self primMakeUUID].
>
> No lads, we use this in a production telco environment - lets fix it properly.

Agreed.

Someone (faried) has added an additional Mantis report on this problem, see
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7371.

The new bug report contains some useful gdb output showing a segfault occuring
in the actual uuid_generate() library call. The VM support code wrapping this
call looks dead simple, so I'm hard pressed to see how that could be wrong.
This plugin is trivial; we must be missing something obvious.

Note, I'm not actually working on this bug, and I've never seen it happen. I'm
just tracking it in Mantis and hoping that someone can point to a solution.