[Vm-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] Show stopper network bug on Windows

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jul 22 22:04:15 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Hello guys, those, who not subscribed to the Pharo list.
>
> I think you should read this:
>   http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=961
>
> since it seems there are some networking problems with Win32 VM.

None of these are Windows VM issues. The problem referred to above is
simply that someone was using a year-old 3.10.2 VM and tried to call
IPv6 primitives (the debug log shows that clearly). The IPv6 prims are
not available in these old VMs.

The discussion below is similarly confused. The Windows VM does return
fully qualified names if your network environment is set up properly.
Usually, the domain name is set by DHCP, but you can set it manually in
the advanced network settings (on XP it's under network, properties,
TCP/IP, advanced, append dns suffixes; Vista will surely differ).

Cheers,
   - Andreas