[Vm-dev] VMMaker: No senders of #ccg:emitLoadFor:from:on:

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jul 29 00:38:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 06:39:50PM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> I'm using a smart syntax code gen for my plugin,
> and custom classes for auto-convert the oop<->c types
>
> and found that method:
>
> #ccg:emitLoadFor:from:on:
>
> is never get called by code generator (browser reports there is no
> senders of it).
> It is, however, implemented in multiple classes.
>
> As i understand, smart syntax plugin using:
>
> #ccg:prolog:expr:index:
> and
> #ccg:generateCoerceToValueFrom:on:
>
> for asking the classes how to load a value from stack or coerce from
> oop to C type.

Interesting. This looks to me like some partially completed work in
the SmartSyntaxPluginCodeGenerator. The various implementations of
#ccg:emitLoadFor:from:on: call methods in the "linking" category
of SmartSyntaxPluginCodeGenerator, and a couple of these methods
are entirely unreferenced also.

It looks as if the intent was to use #ccg:emitLoadFor:from:on: to
load things from the stack into local variables, but as you say it
is unreferenced, and all of these methods could presumably be
deleted without harm.

The original implementation was by Andrew C Greenberg, and some
documentation is at wiki.squeak.org/squeak/850.

Any suggestions as to whether this is work that should be completed
at some point (and therefore preserved for now), or if it should
just be deleted?