[Vm-dev] Compiling squeak-vm for Linux 64bit

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Mar 15 13:54:41 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:15:18PM -0400, whaevr wrote:

> Been trying to compile the latest squeak-vm (version 3.10-4) for x86_64
> Linux, heres my configure line:
>
> ./Squeak-$_realver/platforms/unix/config/configure --prefix=/usr
> --without-quartz --with-x --enable-mpg-mmx
>
> Ignore the $_realver its a variable used in the pkgbuild. It gets through
> configure but on running make it stops with the following error:
>

> vm/vm.a(sqUnixMain.o): In function `vm_parseEnvironment':
> sqUnixMain.c:(.text+0x15ad): undefined reference to `setLocaleEncoding'
> vm/vm.a(sqNamedPrims.o):(.data+0x68): undefined reference to
> `FileCopyPlugin_exports'
> vm/vm.a(sqNamedPrims.o):(.data+0xc0): undefined reference to
> `MIDIPlugin_exports'
> vm/vm.a(sqNamedPrims.o):(.data+0xd0): undefined reference to
> `Mpeg3Plugin_exports'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [squeak] Error 1

Hi Pat, thanks for joining the vm-dev list.

(Note to list: Pat is trying to build a 64-bit Linux distribution package
for a Squeak vm that can run an OLPC image. Bert and I suggested that we
move the discussion to this list.)

Pat, can you clarify where you obtained the source code for version
3.10-4? I am assuming that you are using sources that contain support
for OLPC, but I'm not sure if you are getting them directly from the
Subversion repository or from some other site. I want to try to reproduce
the problem on my PC if possible.

For your reference, when I build a 64-bit VM (for my personal use, I
do not distribute it), I will get the sources directly from Subversion
as follows:
  $ svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk squeak-svn-source

I assume that you are building the VM using the sources found in
the ./platforms/unix/src directory. It may not be obvious, but the
files in this directory are actually intermediate files, the result
of automatic code generation from the "real" sources, which are
written in Smalltalk and maintained in the Squeak image (in a package
called "VMMaker").

This is important for building the VM on 64-bit Linux, because there
are a number of updates in the Smalltalk VMMaker sources needed for
a 64-bit that may not yet be reflected in the files that you find
in your platforms/unix/src directory. Likewise, there are changes
in the OLPC VMMaker sources that may not yet have been included in
the generic VMMaker (and we want to sort that out of course).

Let me know where you downloaded your sources from, and I'll try
to reproduce the errors.