[Vm-dev] Compiling squeak-vm for Linux 64bit

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Mar 16 23:27:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 06:04:59PM -0400, whaevr wrote:

> Sucess!
>
> Screenshot:
>
> http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5656/81857129.png

Nice!

> Didn't have to change my pkgbuild for etoys or anything. I do have the
> pkgbuild for squeak-vm to checkout of svn for a source. I don't know why it
> didn't work before with the tarball. I'll brush these pkgbuilds up to
> standard and ship them off to be included in the aur asap!

Excellent, good progress. A word of caution though: Be careful not
to set the expectation that this is a solid VM. It compiles and runs,
but I can guarantee 100% that there will be problems at runtime,
including crashing the VM when certain functions are exercised. This
is just a matter of working though the type declarations in some VM
plugins (and the sound functions apparently), but we are not there
yet for 64-bit platforms and EToys users are not going to be happy
if the VM crashes in the middle of their creative work ;)