[Vm-dev] Compiling squeak-vm for Linux 64bit

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez jredrejo at edu.juntaextremadura.net
Tue Mar 17 10:18:49 UTC 2009

El mar, 17-03-2009 a las 00:48 -0700, Andreas Raab escribió:
> José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> > And many other places using Debian Edu now know of Squeak and, whenever
> > they want to use a good ltsp server for the classes, they can not use
> > Squeak. So, from my point of view, at least fixing sound and pango is
> > urgent in 64 bits VMs, as both things are used by default in the etoys
> > image. Fixing the browser plugin should be done also for all the archs,
> > obviously.
>
> The difficulty is that we're all busy doing other things and very little
> time and effort is being put into the 64bit port. It's also a bit
> surprising for me to find out that you're looking at deploying on that
> scale without having at least one dedicated VM person. I have found that
> for really shipping Squeak you do need a VM person - if only to make
> sure you have the right icon, the right fixes, the right plugins and
> whatever else might go into your particular deployment. It doesn't have
> to be Eliot (though that wouldn't hurt ;-) but someone needs to be on
> top of these issues. In which case that is the person who should look at
> fixing these problems in your context and, after fixing them for your
> application, how we can integrate this into the VM proper.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

I just needed to use 64 bits for my systems, and want the teachers to go
on using Squeak. It's not a planned used of 64 bits for Squeak, it's
just a need. As it doesn't work I've ended using a chroot 32 bits
environment to start it in 32 bits.
Anyway, the plugin doesn't work correctly in 32 bits either, so not all
the problems are related to the architecture.
Maybe you can remember that the human resources we have are very limited
to do too many things. Only the deployment of a large scale of this
project waste most of our efforts, so we can not have the privilege of
keeping somebody to maintain single applications. For most applications
we depend on the community that's behind. Our work is more focused in
the architecture of the system and our developments are restricted to
the applications oriented to make life with computers easier for
teachers and students. If firefox, openoffice, or squeak have a problem
we can take a look, try to workaround the problem and fixing it if the
bug doesn't need too much time, but with two or three Eliots there is
not much more that can be done (appart from contacting with the
community to tell them there're problems)

Cheers.
José L.