[Vm-dev] mantis http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7349

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed May 6 00:36:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 11:37:43AM -0700, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Folks should try the fix and see
>
> Ihttp://idisk.mac.com/bertfreudenberg-Public/temp
>
> Double-click EtoysToGo.app and drop in wendy.pr  for it to explode,
> well or not after the fix is applied.

I did not try the exploding wendy.pr test, but your ClosureVMPopKiller-M7349
definitely fixes some stack balance bugs, so I loaded it in the VMMaker project
on SqS in VMMaker-dtl.122.

The Mantis 7349 issue is marked as status "testing" since I did not actually
perform the wendy.pr test. I'll move it to "resolved" next week if no one cites
evidence to the contrary.

r.e. your notes in Mantis 7349:
> was there not some recovery code for unbalanced stacks somewhere? My
> concern is there other example of this which we not yet crashed over.
> So how would we fix the VM to avoid? Or do we need to check all the plugin
> prim code for coding issues.

Yes there are sure to be more unbalanced stack bugs, and yes somebody should
probably check all the plugin code. Most likely nobody will get around to doing
that but no worries, the stack VM seems to do an excellent job of finding
these bugs :)