[Vm-dev] mantis http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7349

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri May 8 03:46:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 11:34:46PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 05:06:48PM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> >
> > 2009/5/7 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> > >
> > > Second, there is a higher level notion of whether something is compatible or
> > > not - for example the return value from certain functions change in a 64 bit
> > > image accordingly (I don't even know how a 32 bit plugin is prevented from
> > > interacting with a 64 bit image today). Sometimes you really need a
> > > high-level bit that tells you that the world has changed even if the names
> > > stay the same.
> > >
> > this can be solved simply: add a function with 32 bit value, which
> > could answer is VM 32 bit, or 64 bit.
>
> It's already there. The expression "self bytesPerWord" translates to either
> 4 or 8 for 32-bit and 64-bit images respectively.
>
> The implementation is in CCodeGenerator>>generateBytesPerWord:on:indent:
> in VMMaker since VMMaker-dtl.90 on SqS. The change set is on Mantis 7182
> if you need to load it into a different VMMaker.

Apologies, I just realized that I missed your point entirely. For a plugin
to check if its compile-time view of "self bytesPerWord" is the same as
the bytes per word of the VM that loaded the plugin would presumably
require an entry in the interpreter proxy, which does not currently exist.
Sorry for the noise.