[Vm-dev] Immediates

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri May 8 22:18:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com>wrote:

> Sorry about the wrong attribution - Celeste makes a big mess of all of
> Eliot's emails and most replies to those emails. Unfortunately, fixing
> this is not currently near the top of my "to do" list so I'll just have
> to deal with this for a few more months.
>
> I totally agree about the value of immediates being to speed up
> computations by avoiding allocations. My idea for symbols was not to
> avoid the costly mapping of strings to new instances but rather speed up
> class lookup a little bit. This wouldn't help us now, but for a future
> modular Squeak that would be loading and unloading object graphs all the
> time, this could make a difference.

One of the things I think would really helps here is to have a way of
assigning the id-hash of a Symbol based on its string hash.  Then
MethodDictionaries and the like don't have to be rehashed on load.  I could
imagine a new:withHash: primitive that creates an object with a specified
hash atomically, whihc is safer than adding a separate setIdHash: primtive;
VW has the latter.

Like VisualWorks, Self uses 30 bit integers with a 00 tag (which makes
> detagging/retagging unnecessary for addition, subtraction and bitwise
> logical operations).

FYI, VW does not use 00 for SmallIntegers; it uses 00 for objects.  So it
does have to detag for certain operations.  But of course it optimizes
addition/subtraction by only detagging one of the two values so it doesn't
have to retag.

Self, Strongtalk and V8 all do use 00.

The other tag values represent 30 bit floats,
> object pointers (you always use a constant offset with these anyway, so
> the detagging can be built into that constant) and object headers. The
> memory is divided into segments (generations) and each segment stores
> tagged data from the bottom and binary data from the top. ByteVectors
> are normal tagged objects with a SmallInteger pointing to the actual
> bytes.
>
> The idea of a tag pattern for object headers is that you can "flatten"
> the memory scanning operations. You just scan from top to the limit
> until you found what you were looking for and then back up to the
> previous header to see what object contains that oop. This can be many
> times faster than a objects do: [ :obj | obj fieldsDo: [ :oop | ....]]
> nested loop.

Yes, this is neat.  They use it in become operations which are very common
as slots are added and removed right?