[Vm-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] New Pharo based on core 10309 with antialiased fonts

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu May 21 02:19:17 UTC 2009

Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Well, not all these circumstances, but all those with black text. You
> can see in the latest Cuis that rgbMul is enough for correct subpixel
> rendering of black text over any background. And yes, black on black
> shows all black. In fact, rgbMul is the same formula than rule 41 if
> text color is black (0;0;0).

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought.

> In Cuis I disable subpixel rendering for colored text. I found that for
> colored text, the difference between doing or not subpixel rendering is
> much less visible.

Personally, I find there is very little difference between subpixel AA
or not even with black text. What *really* makes the difference for font
rendering is grid-fitting; which is why both native fonts (TTF hinting)
as well as Freetype (excellent auto-hinter) look much better than Squeak
fonts by default.

Cheers,
   - Andreas