[Vm-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] New Pharo based on core 10309 with antialiased fonts

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu May 21 12:01:59 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:

>> In Cuis I disable subpixel rendering for colored text. I found that
>> for colored text, the difference between doing or not subpixel
>> rendering is much less visible.
>
> Personally, I find there is very little difference between subpixel AA
> or not even with black text. What *really* makes the difference for
> font rendering is grid-fitting; which is why both native fonts (TTF
> hinting) as well as Freetype (excellent auto-hinter) look much better
> than Squeak fonts by default.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
Really? I do like the hinting in the Mac and the Freetype auto-hinter,
but for regular text. For code, I don't care. I could even use
monospaced fonts. But not having subpixel AA on the code really hurts my
eyes.

It seems there's not a best-for-all approach here. Well, people not
agreeing on  what looks better, Mac text (correctly hinted, correct AA,
blurry) or Windows text (pixel aligned, character shapes and sizes not
preserved), already showed that...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich