[Vm-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] New Pharo based on core 10309 with antialiased fonts

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu May 21 19:46:28 UTC 2009

>  You can see how well this works by going to
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/ and downloading the new Cuis #0204.
> See how well it does subpixel AA with black and colored text. Change
> display depth, and see how it adapts to lower display depths. Also
> play with preferences #subpixelRenderText and
> #subpixelRenderColorText. All this is done with just one 16bpp glyph
> for each char/font/size! No extra caches. Just standard rules,
> colormaps, and thought.
Some screen shots...

Sub pixel AA:
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/32BitDisplay-SubPixAA.png . That is the
best look. Display at 32 bpp, sub pixel AA.
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/16BitDisplay-SubPixAA.png
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/08BitDisplay-SubPixAA.png

Whole pixel AA:
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/32BitDisplay-WholePixAA.png
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/16BitDisplay-WholePixAA.png
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/08BitDisplay-WholePixAA.png

For less than 8bpp, no subpixel AA is available:
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/04BitDisplay.png
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/01BitDisplay.png

I did not include subpixel black and whole pixel color, but it is
possible too.

Anyway, people really interested on this should check the code. Besides,
playing 5 minutes with Cuis should be good for any squeaker, to realize
that Squeak can be nice, simple and fast.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich