[Vm-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] New Pharo based on core 10309 with antialiased fonts

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri May 22 00:33:42 UTC 2009

Hi Andy,

Andrew Tween wrote:

> Hi Juan,
> That's cool.
> Congratulations on finding the 'magic' combination of bitBlt rules.

Thanks :)

> I'm not sure where that leaves my bitBlt rule 41. Possibly rendundant.
>
> But unfortunately I don't have much free time to change the FreeType
> stuff to use your technique.
> Maybe one of the Pharo developers can make the necessary changes.

I don't know. I don't know if there is a compelling enough reason for
people to make the changes. What this perhaps means is that the use of
rule 41 will be limited to FreeType. This could mean that it only makes
sense to add rule 41 to the VM if FreeType is also added. But I'm not
sure of this.

> Of course I also added the gamma correction, and the handling of
> translucent text foreground colours.
> So, it may be worth keeping both techniques around for a while.

The rgbMul / rgbAdd sequence does not support translucent text (nor
gamma correction). The only way I see to support it is by cloning the
glyphs for each needed alpha value. I would not advice doing this. I
would perhaps do a TranslucentStringMorph that renders to an
intermediate Form that is later blended in the canvas... But I guess
people wanting these features should better stick with rule 41.

> Cheers,
> Andy

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich