[Vm-dev] Setting up a VMMaker image

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Nov 10 16:57:50 UTC 2009

Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> 1. Is nuking the Win32VMMaker and loading the one from
>    "platforms\win32\build\Win32VMMaker.st" still required
>    as described on http://squeakvm.org/win32/compiling.html?
>
>    Looks like the code is already integrated in VMMaker, so
>    is this obsolete?

Correct. I'll update the page.

> 2. Do you still use the ToolChain with the "old" GCC 2.95-2 as provided
>    on Squeakvm.org or is there something newer than
>    http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/Squeak-Win32-Tools-1.2.zip

I'm still using the same version. However, I'll make an "inofficial"
comment that the main reason for using this version of gcc (performance)
has gone away with the JIT and we're looking at alternatives that
provide better debugging support.

> 3. Is the quicktime plugin running on Win32? Last posting I've found:
>
>    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/squeak-list/3325977
>
>    and there is also
>
> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/study/courses/OMP/public/software/sqcdrom2/Packages/Multimedia/QuickTime/QuickTime%20for%20Squeak.html but the changeset is gone

The Quicktime plugin is currently unsupported. I don't know what it
takes to make it work. If you send me the necessary support code I'll
add it.

> 4. When I make the freetype plugin an internal plugin (to distribute
>    VM with all plugins + image only) I get:
>
>    ./obj/vm/FT2Plugin.lib(FT2Plugin.o.b): In function `initialiseModule':
>    //C/squeak/vmmaker/vm/3115/testbuild/obj/FT2Plugin/../.././src/FT2Plug   in/FT2Plugin.c:419: undefined reference to `FT_Init_FreeType'

I haven't tried to build it internally. I know it works if you build it
externally though.

> 5. Are there any plans for having Alien Plugin for Win32 in the Win32
>    SqueakVM distribution? What is the state here?

Same as before. Generally speaking, I don't build VMs from changesets
patching VMMaker (it's a very fragile way to come up with the same
result each time you need a build) so unless the required Alien patches
are integrated into VMMaker I won't spend any time on it.

> 6. Any plans regarding fixing the "service" stuff (see my posting
>    in "Win32 VM Service facility broken?")

No concrete plans right now but if you send code I'll use it ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas