[Vm-dev] An event driven Squeak VM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Nov 11 01:56:30 UTC 2009

On 2009-11-10, at 4:35 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> John M McIntosh wrote:
>> Ok, well
>
> So does that mean you are:
> [ ] in favor,
> [ ] against such a change,
> [ ] don't care,
> [ ] think it can't work at all?
> I'm not clear about your reply you seem to be saying all of the
> above at some point or other.

Er, all of the above, from early practice on slow machines it gave
sluggish response to early forms of the browser plugin.

However if you feel this will fix issues on the Windows platform then
it's not a problem for the os-x and iphone version to
work with it.  For the iPhone perhaps we flip the model to call
interpret() for some set time on each pass thru the runloop.

Current we have

     #define browserPluginReturnIfNeeded() if (plugInTimeToReturn())
{ReturnFromInterpret();}
     #define browserPluginInitialiseIfNeeded()

plugInTimeToReturn on os-x is defined to check flags that are set if
the VM is running as a sub-process of the browser
and the browser has terminated, thus we want to terminate the VM.

So I'm wondering what the check will be, how many times per second
will it be executed, and will
interpret() run for a set number of milliseconds, a suggested amount,
or a number of bytes codes?
Or if I read correctly we exit from interpret() when there are no
processes to run, then go back in
when we think an external event happens, or a Delay terminates.

--
=
=