[Vm-dev] Setting up a VMMaker image

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 03:42:36 UTC 2009

2009/11/12 David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 09:20:19AM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> Concerning alternatives, we having OSProcess... so it is possibly to
>> write and run a build process (or just generate a makefiles)
>> using VMMaker. I think this would be much better, simpler & leaner
>> comparing to hand-crafted makefiles with ugly & bogus syntax, shell
>> discrepancies and so on... :)
>
> Funny you should mention it, I actually did this back in the time of
> Squeak 2.8 or so, and I even had it integrated into the VMMaker user
> interface so you could do a one-click build. See UnixProcess class>>makeVmIn:
> for the remnants of that experiment.
>
> To be honest, I'm not sure it's all that useful, given that I don't
> even bother to use it myself any more. But it was kind of cool that it
> worked ;-)
>
> Also I suppose that I would need to re-motivate myself to get OSProcess
> working properly on Win32 before it could be seriously considered for
> this sort of thing.

I wasn't here at those days, but frankly, what could be better than
clean & beatiful smalltalk code?
Could makefiles expressions replicate the powers of smalltalk? :)
And so i wonder why it was abandoned. As i said, we could generate the
makefiles, and don't use OSProcess,
and even this is good step forward in avoiding some discrepancies
which we just discussed here , like unability to link the 3rd-party
library with VM without manually hacking the makefile.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.