[Vm-dev] FFI for Squeak 3.8 Open Cobalt

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Thu Nov 12 19:49:05 UTC 2009

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I know there are others
working on Open Cobalt who want to see it run on the Beasties.

I did some tests, results below:

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 22:22 -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Hi Gary -
>
> A couple of notes. Croquet / Cobalt have some special requirements for
> their VMs which relate to the bit-identical execution of the Croquet
> environment. I suspect that may be the problem.
>
> As the first thing you should run the CroquetVMTests in Cobalt to ensure
> that your VM adheres to the required invariants.

Error output running CroquetVMTests in SUnit Test Runner

ioLoadModule(./bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/B3DAcceleratorPlugin):
  Shared object "libdl.so.2" not found, required by
"B3DAcceleratorPlugin"
ioFindExternalFunctionIn(, 0x283dc200):
  Undefined symbol ""
ioLoadModule(./bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/UUIDPlugin):
  Shared object "libuuid.so.1" not found, required by "UUIDPlugin"

Results displayed in SUnit Test Runner window:

75 run, 71 passes, 2 expected failures, 2 failures, 0 errors, 0
unexpected passes

Is this bad? :-)

> If that passes, you should run "FFITester testAll" next to ensure that
> the FFI is working properly in your environment.

This generates an error "Unable to find function address" at the first
test in testAll. errCode is 13.

> When that works, it's time to try launching OpenGL via:
>
> 	(OpenGL newIn: (0 at 0 corner: 100 at 100))
> 		clearWindow: #(1 0 0 1);
> 		swapBuffers.

I did not attempt ... should I?

I am thinking I should compare the methods added when I load
SqueakFFIPrims to my squeak3.10 image to the methods in the cobalt
image, to see if SqueakFFIPrims is loaded. After I go out and enjoy the
beautiful day a bit.

Thanks again, Andreas!

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu