[Vm-dev] Setting up a VMMaker image

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Nov 15 02:21:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 10:59:14PM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Since setting up a VMMaker image has become a serious pain I thought I'd
> post my process for documentation here. This is what I did:
>
> [ ] Start with a trunk image from http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk
> [ ] Load Speech: http://source.squeakfoundation.org/39a
> [ ] Load FFI version 3.9.1: Universes (System>>FFI version 3.9.1)
> [ ] Load VMMaker: http://squeaksource.com/VMMaker
> [ ] Load Balloon3D-Constants: http://squeaksource.com/Balloon3D
> [ ] Load Balloon3D-Plugins: http://squeaksource.com/Balloon3D
> [ ] Load Freetype: http://squeaksource.com/FreeTypePlus
> [ ] Load Freetype-Plugin: http://source.impara.de/freetype
>
> After doing all this I have a healthy current VMMaker image.

I baked some of this recipe into a "VMMaker updateFromServer", patterned
after the Squeak trunk update process. I do not yet have Speech and FFI
in the configuration and I'm sure there are other plugins that need to
be added, but it's a start.

To do an initial load:
  MCMcmUpdater updateFromRepositories: #('http://squeaksource.com/VMMaker' )

Thereafter, evaluate "VMMaker updateFromServer" to get updates.

In addition to Andreas' list, I included OSProcessPlugin, AioPlugin,
XDisplayControlPlugin, SlangBrowser, and MemoryAccess.

Please add your favorite plugins to the configuration map in VMMaker
on SqueakSource.