[Vm-dev] VMMaker MCM config and update

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Nov 18 12:54:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:22:44PM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Cool. Seems to work great. The two "unusual" things I noticed where
> MemoryAccess and SlangBrowser. How do I use those?

MemoryAccess is a version of the sqMemoryAccess.h macros implemented in
Slang. To my surprise it seems to perform just as well as the C macros,
and it is handy for inspecting the generated C code if you are looking
for type declaration problems and improper casts. It is described here:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6081

SlangBrowser permits you to browse the generated C code interactively
in the image. It is described here:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5916

There are some hacks required to get SlangBrowser integrated into the
browsers (it's different for Squeak 3.8 and 3.9+). I have not yet tried
getting this working for Squeak trunk, and I'll probably be needing some
advice on that as I'm almost certainly not doing it in a good way.