[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Test breaking mouse-wheel scrolling (was: Re: Re: Test failures in trunk)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Nov 18 17:23:36 UTC 2009

On 2009-11-18, at 9:09 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2009/11/18 Ronald Spengler <ron.spengler at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Where do you stop with that? The Mac (and some windows mice+drivers)
>> lets you scroll in 360 degrees.
>>
> Oh... don't let me starting on this :)
> I think that Squeak should transparently allow interacting with all
> HIDs available on market:
> touchscreen, mices , voice control , joystick etc etc ;)
>
> But to be serious.. a first mouse with scrolling wheel appeared long
> ago (in scale of computer's evolution).
> And most OS-es and GUIs have standartized these input events during
> last decade.
> And frankly, i don't see a reason, why Squeak VM still using
> workarounds for delivering these events to image side.

For the iPhone VM I created a complex event type which passes up a smalltalk object.
In this case a translation of the iPhone touch events to a smalltalk object.  I could have
passed up a bytearray and let EventSensor deal with it.

Maybe we need a raw mode where data is passed up in a bytearray then EventSensor is
reponsible for assembling the data into a meaningful pattern.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882